Many individuals have a serious issue involving dental anxiety. Our team at Aqua Dental is eager to provide patients with high-quality dental care that leaves them feeling comfortable and stress-free. Sedation dentistry is commonly used during dental exams and procedures that allow for more effective treatments. Continue reading on to learn more about sedation dentistry and see how it can ease feelings of anxiety.
Below are several different types of sedation dentistry methods. They include the following:
- Inhaled Sedation. Nitrous oxide, also known as laughing gas, and oxygen is inhaled. The result allows a person to feel completely relaxed, calm, and free of pain. Within minutes of breathing in the gas, the effects can be felt.
- Oral Conscious Sedation. Prior to the procedure or treatment, your dentist will prescribe you to take a medication at least an hour before. It will leave a person feeling groggy, but still conscious. A family member or friend will need to drive you home after the appointment.
- Intravenous (IV) Sedation. Intravenous sedation is the stronger form of sedation that allows a patient to be asleep during the procedure.
Sedation dentistry can help to solve a wide range of issues that patients might deal with, including the following:
- Anxiety About Needles or Dental Injections. The sedation will relax a patient so that they do not notice the injections occurring.
- Anxiety About the Atmosphere of the Dentist’s Office. Oral conscious sedation is typically recommended for this situation.
- Choking and Gagging. Being in a relaxed state of mind will help to control habits such as this.
- Risk of Panic Attack, Shaking Uncontrollably or Crying. Anxiety during or prior to an appointment can leave an individual feeling helpless, but our team is eager to help.
- Having Trouble Sitting Still for Long Periods. Sedation dentistry can even be safe for younger patients.
If you have any further questions regarding dental anxiety and oral sedation options, then contact our team for more information. Call us today to set up your next appointment with a member of our staff.