Are you feeling stressed about your upcoming dental treatment? Or are you most of the time worried about how would you pass the time or handle the pain that you would have to endure later? Then you can stop worrying now, as sedation is here to help and reduce your anxiety. This is used for simple procedures such as plaque removal and all. This helps you to relax on the dentist chair during the treatment.
Now this question might arrive in your mind that- what is sedation dentistry?
Sedation dentistry helps to relax the patient with the help of medications. The dentists mostly use nitrogen oxide, or in other words, the laughing gas. During the process, patients would be awake but still feel relaxed. There are different amounts of the gas used, depending upon the situation.
What types of sedation are used in Dentistry?
You would encounter many types of sedation which are given below-
- Inhale minimal sedation: Small amount of nitrogen oxide is given. Dentist controls the amount of sedation according to the patient’s need.
- Oral sedation: In this, medicine is used to give sedation in the range of minimum to moderate. The patient is almost in sleep but the dentist can awake them with a small shake to your body.
- IV (moderate) sedation: This is through the veins to your body with the help of an injection.
- Deep sedation and general anesthesia: After taking this, you will be most-likely feel slightly unconscious. This is mostly used for the complex surgeries as there is a high chance that you may feel moderate to severe pain in these situations.
Who Can Have Sedation at the Dentists?
There are many conditions where the patient may require sedation such as low-pain threshold, anxiety, sensitive teeth, difficulty in staying still and so on.
Can Any Dentist Perform Sedation?
Mostly, dentists use sedation from the range of minimum to moderate otherwise they prefer to give local anesthesia to the patient.
How Safe Is Sedation Dentistry?
Only an expert knows what is right and what is wrong in his field of expertise. To make sure that your dentist knows how to use sedation, you can ask him/her the following things
- Check the medical history and experience of the dentist and kind of treatments he/she has handled
- You can ask whether the type of sedation is appropriate for your health or not
- Ask in detail about the procedure.
If you are still not feeling sure, then contact Aqua Dental and ask for further guidance.