What is Pediatric Dentistry?
It is a specialty of dentistry that focuses on the oral health and dental care practices for children. Pediatric dentists spend their time studying the tooth structure or children and analyzing the development and growth stages thereof. Like the overall health of your child matters to you, so should the dental health.
Facts about Pediatric Dentistry
The more you know about pediatric dentistry, the easier you will find it when it comes it your children. Considering dental care for your child should a no-brainer. However, if you are having some trouble with how to go about pediatric dental care, here are some facts to help you along:
- It is specialized for children – general dentists in Pearland, TX, can handle dental care for all people. However, pediatric dentists have been trained specifically for children. They have gone through intense training on how to handle children’s teeth.
- Even teenagers benefit – the beauty with pediatric dentists near you is that they can handle various types of oral situations in children. Better yet, this facet of dentistry covers children right from infancy to teenagehood. It is an amazing fact for parents to know that they can rely on one dentist for their child for years.
- It covers all dental scopes – you never have to worry about whether or not your child is receiving all-round dental care. Pediatric dentists are as qualified as any other kind of dentist. They can, therefore, handle teething problems in children as well as they handle alignment issues in teenagers and young adults.
- Kids do not have to dread dental care – most children are not fond of any medical care. Hospitals and dental clinics are both fear triggers for children. However, with pediatric dentistry, kids are more at ease with pediatric dentists than with any other specialists. Without trying our dental care for your child, you may never know how accepting they may be of the idea.
- Your child is ready for dental care as early as one year old – by the time your child is 1 year, they are already experiencing teething. Pediatric dentistry should cover such issues and more.
Benefits of Pediatric Dentistry
If you are not yet convinced of the underlying advantages of pediatric dentistry for your child, some of the following benefits should help you:
- Children-friendly environment – there is no better place for your child than in a pediatric dental facility. The colors, fabrics, and equipment are selectively picked to favor children. They act as perfect distractions to keep kids comfortable while with a dentist. This makes children feel at ease to go through different dental care procedures.
- Preventive dentistry – part of pediatric dentistry involve preventive dental care. Cavities are not compulsory for all children. You can protect the teeth of your child even as the adult teeth grow. This is through preventive dental care processes like teeth cleaning, fluoride treatment, brushing, flossing, among other tips. Other than that, a pediatric dentist will come up with different recommendations to foster proper health, including, using dental sealants, spacers, to mention a few.
- Habit counseling – your child may have some stubborn habits that are hard to die. The most common dental habits for kids are teeth grinding, thumb sucking and biting on fingernails. If you do not address these habits early on, your child with growing up with nasty habits. A pediatric dentist can counsel your child and help them shake off the bad habits, trading them for healthier ones.
- Early detection of dental problems – your child may have certain oral problems developing with time. Unless you track them early on in life, they can advance in complexity and bear other dental consequences. Early detection of oral problems can ensure your child gets treatment to combat the issues before it is too late. Such issues include a crowded mouth, cavities, gum irregularities, teeth misalignment, among others.
- Dental emergencies – with children, health emergencies are not a strange occurrence. Kids are not necessarily careful when interacting with different stimuli in their environments. An injury can cause a dental emergency for your child. Dental emergencies on children are best handled in pediatric dentistry, where the dentists are well-prepared for such situations.