Dental crowns arevitalin fixing cracked, chipped, or severely decayed teeth. It protects your adversely affected or infected tooth from further deterioration.
Has your tooth undergone severe decay or traumatic injury that has left it with cracks or chips? Our dentists in Pearland, TX, may recommend you to undergo restorative procedures by having a dental crown. A dental crown encapsulates your severely damaged natural tooth and ensures it’s not permanently lost. It’s an optimal alternative to vulnerable teeth, and it restores your tooth’s vitality and aesthetics.
What’s a Dental Crown?
A dental crown refers to a custom-made restoration that’s placed over your tooth to restore its strength, shape, and size. It’s cosmetically used to transform your dental appeal. It’s cemented to encase your visible tooth portion above your gum line. Dental crowns replace missing teeth caused by decay, traumatic injury, or gum diseases. They are made from porcelain fused to metal and are custom-made to provide you with a natural dental appeal. Crowns restore your tooth aesthetics and protect it from further damage.
Why You Need a Dental Crown
A dental crown is vital in restoring your tooth’s functionality, shape, size, and strength. Pearland Dentist prefers crowns since they perform the following roles:
- Restoring your tooth robustness after a root canal therapy
- Covering a dental implant
- Protect your weakened tooth from fractures, cracks, and breaking
- Replacing old or loose fillings
- To make cosmetic modifications on your teeth, including reshaping or sealing gaps between your teeth.
- Holding your dental bridges in place
- Sealing and providing support to your tooth that has a large filling and inadequate natural structure
Crowns are ideal for enhancing your tooth structure and protecting it from further damage. If you are missing a tooth, the adjacent teeth may shift into the space left, leading to oral malocclusions. Extensive jawbone loss may result in TMJ disorders, and it’s essential to visit your dentist in Pearland, Texas, for suitable replacement options, including implants and crowns.
Types of Dental Crowns
Your dentists in Pearland, TX, will determine the suitable type of crown for your dental needs. Various aspects are considered, including:
- Tooth’s location
- Gum tissue’s position
- Color of your adjacent teeth
- Cosmetic need to be addressed
- The remaining portion of your natural tooth
- The function of the tooth that requires the crown
Having considered the aspects named above, your dental specialist will use one of the following dental crown types:
- Porcelain fused to metal crown provides a strong and durable bond since it’s connected to a metal structure. Our dentist in 77584 may recommend this type since it’s more durable.
- Ceramic crowns that restore your front teeth and blend with your natural tooth color. They are made from porcelain material.
- Base metal alloys are made of highly-resistant metals to corrosion.
- Gold alloys crown made from gold and other metal. They provide you with a strong bond to your tooth that doesn’t wear out easily.
What Does the Procedure of Having a Dental Crown Entail?
Our dentist in Pearland, Texas, performs a dental crown procedure based on your personalized dental needs. During your initial appointment, your dental specialist will perform an examination of your mouth tissues through diagnostic and digital approaches, including the use of X-rays. Presence of severe decay or potential risk of infection, extensive procedures may be performed. A core may be required if there’s inadequate natural tooth structure vital in holding your crown in place. Your affected tooth undergoes shaping impressions of your tooth are custom-made to fit your tooth perfectly.
A temporary dental cap is placed over your tooth to seal it until a permanent crown is made. Your crown takes the color of your adjacent teeth. Crowns are incredibly useful in protecting your severely damaged natural tooth from loss. Repair of your cracked or broken tooth restores its shape and functionalities. At Aqua Dental, we prefer crowns in cosmetic transformations since they provide you with a beautiful naturally-looking smile.
Taking Care of Your Dental Crowns
It’s essential to take care of crowns to enhance longevity. Below are useful tips our Pearland Dentist may recommend:
- Put on night guards to protect your crowns if you clench your teeth at night.
- Avoid chewing hard foods and excessive intake of candy, which may lead to the formation of cracks on your porcelain crown.
- Brush your teeth regularly using recommended toothpaste, and avoid highly abrasive toothpaste that may lead to sensitive teeth.
- Floss your teeth regularly to maintain proper oral health.
Are you willing to fix your cracked or broken teeth? Please visit our dentist in 77584, who’ll protect your natural tooth from severe decay and ensure all the functionalities are restored.